It's a lovely thought, isn't it?

Monday, May 10, 2010

writing: establishing a habit and why i always regret not doing it

when it comes to hobbies, i am extremely non-committal.
(when it comes to relationships, i have quite the opposite problem. but that's another story completely.)

for some, talent runs abundantly through their veins and because of this, hobbies are easily established. a few people i know can sing, play an instrument, paint, write, build furniture, grow gardens, play an impressive game of any sport, and be incredibly good looking (which isn't really a talent, i guess, but still counts against them in my mind). these are the few people i resent a little bit.

i resent them just a little bit (sometimes a lot a bit), because my list of natural talent is much MUCH less exhaustive and impressive. but one thing my sweet mommy always tells me is this: "but laura! you are a great writer."

"great" is such a mom-term to use for my writing that just is really untrue in the real world but perfectly just in the mom world.

i do love to write though. and writing as a hobby has been something to which i could never truly commit. but i've decided something recently. i've decided that maybe i shouldn't think of it as a hobby, because if i do, i clearly will never really do it for more than a week or two; but that instead, i will admit to myself that i just straight up NEED to write. i get lazy and leave 3/4 of beautiful journals completely empty. i get lazy and let ideas just disappear. on my one trip to europe, i got lazy and wrote nothing about the second half of my time in italy and the entirety of my time in slovenia. i already know that at my ripe old age of 23 my memory is terrible, so i just MUST write.

i need to write to keep myself sane.
to clear my mind and release my hyper-analyzation.
to utilize my way too many years of education.
to keep a record of the best years of my life (which will hopefully be all of them).
to not have to talk so fuhreaking much.

ya know?

okay, let's do this.

No comments:

Post a Comment